. Havi Carel discusses how two philosophers (Descartes and Merleau-Ponty) each see the relationship between mind and body. In your own words, explain both Descartes and Merleau-Ponty, then identify which of them Carel herself prefers.
2. What's the difference between the "biological body" and the "lived body," according to Havi Carel? How does she use this distinction to make sense of the experience of illness?
3. How does the ADA define disability? Give an example of something that clearly counts as a disability on this definition and briefly explain why.
4. As Anita Silvers explains it, how does Norm Daniels characterize "normal function"? What defines normal functioning, and why is it important for healthcare?
5. Anita Silvers criticizes the emphasis on normal functioning for failing to distinguish between a person's mode of functioning vs. level of functioning. What is the difference between them? Give an example of someone with an abnormal mode of functioning but with a fairly high level of functioning, then an example of someone with a normal mode of functioning but with a fairly low level of functioning.
discussion post 1
What does it mean to be healthy?
What does it mean to be sick or ill?
And one last twist on this (in light of Havi Carel's phenomenology of illness): do you think there's an important difference between feeling sick/healthy vs. being sick/healthy?
discussion post 2
One key point of Anita Silvers's analysis of health and disability is that we conflate how a person's body functions with how well their body functions. These are different, she says: one's mode of functioning does not necessarily dictate one's level of functioning. So let's brainstorm this a bit; let's think about clear illustrating examples of each of these four possible combinations:
A. Person experiences a high level of functioning using their body in the normal / species-typical mode of functioning.
B. Person experiences a low level of functioning using their body in the normal / species-typical mode of functioning.
C. Person experiences a high level of functioning using their body in an abnormal / species-atypical mode of functioning.
D.Person experiences a low level of functioning using their body in an abnormal / species-atypical mode of functioning.
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need help with this assignment?
Discount Code: SAVE25